Skip to main content

Higher Ways and Pruning

I learn quite a bit from my puppy, especially about my relationship with a much higher Master.  I can’t help but think about Lucy’s amazement about me, and correlate that to my wonder about God.  (I’ve written about my puppy before).

Lucy can’t open doors.  She waits for me.  She doesn’t understand why I must brush her (OK, Nicole usually does it), and, because she’s an energetic puppy and is still learning, she fights it.  My wife and I have to team up to give her a bath, and she’s anxious to get out again into the backyard and find the mud.  She has no idea what we’re doing when we’re cooking, but she actively hunts for scraps that fall from the counter, or crumbs that fall from the table.  Can you see yourself in her?  Even a little?

The other day I was pruning one of my beautiful redbud trees.  (I’ve written about them before too). Unfortunately, at the end of last season a large section of it died.  I find that the trees often will redistribute their energy and leave dead branches underneath that need to be cleared, but this time it was more than I was happy to see.  I hope the tree will be ok, but I am not very knowledgeable about such things.  I don’t know if it’s a problem or not.  But one thing I know, I have to clean out the dead branches. 

Lucy followed me in wonder and amazement as I grabbed a saw (“What is that!”) and a ladder (“Wow! What’s he doing?  Look how strong!”) and started cutting off branches and limbs (“Oh boy!  Sticks!).  Lucy thought every single one of them was for her.  She thought it was a game.  She had absolutely no idea what I was doing, but was very excited that I was doing it.  Some of the hunks of tree I brought down could have easily crushed my Shih Tzu.  But I was very careful to always know where she was.  Before I brought down a big limb, I tossed a Lucy sized branch about 15 yards away from the tree.  And as she was fetching it…Thud!... another sizeable chunk came down.  She came back to investigate.

As all this played out, there was a marvelous mashup in my mind of three Bible passages that I’ll share with you.  1. “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord.  For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts” (Is 55:8-9).  The relationship Lucy has to me is a reflection of the relationship I have to God.  I wait for Him to open doors.  I sometimes resist his cleansing.  I foolishly go wallow in the mud of sin again.  I look to God for scraps of blessings and crumbs of miracles.  And in the midst of good times and bad, in health and pandemic, in trouble and peaceful bliss, His ways are higher than mine.  What He is doing is always, always good.  Even if I don’t see it, know about it, or understand it! 

Another passage: 2.  Jesus says: “The servant does not know what his master is doing…” (Jn 15:15).  I am glad that Jesus has called us “friends” instead.  How clueless we would be if God didn’t tell us in the Bible what he is doing!  Yes, still we are left with questions.  But now that Jesus has come, has died and has risen (alleluia!) we know enough to trust.

And finally: 3. “I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser.  Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit.  Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you” (Jn 15:1-3).  Notice the importance of the Word of God in that cleaning/pruning process.  His Word is life and death—the death, punishment, and removal of sin (Thank you, Jesus, for taking the punishment for me!), and the very source of life, health, strength, and abundant fruit for all who abide in Jesus.

Here are two questions for you to ponder today.  What is going on in your life that has you completely confused?  Can you think of anything God might be accomplishing through it behind the scenes?  

Want to share any thoughts?  Feel welcome to leave a comment below.

And as always…

truth + love

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Songwriting Journey

So, in August I did a thing.  A thing I’ve never done before.  A thing I never expected to do.  I want to tell you what that thing is.   But first you should know something about me.  I love music. I’ve played the piano for as long as I can remember.  I took lessons from my mom who was the church organist and taught piano on the side.  I started learning the trombone in fourth grade.  In college, our Symphonic Wind Ensemble needed a tuba player, so I learned that.  Turns out that if you can play a trombone and a tuba, you can also play a baritone.  So I played that too in some church brass ensembles.  I wouldn’t say that I own a ton of instruments, but I do have a few: a piano, digital keyboard, harmonica, kalimba, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, trumpet, trombone, and bells (not handbells, but bells that look like separate pieces of a xylophone in a case).  Some of those I don’t even know how to play.  Yet.   As much as I love music, I’ve never been a good performer.  I can preach a

God Who Bleeds

It was a beautiful May day in gorgeous Irvine, California, and four of us songwriters were sharing a sunny and lighthearted conversation as we walked.  This retreat had three scheduled songwriting sessions, and the forty-two attendees would find out before each session what the assigned groups and writing locations were.   Benji, Cara, Matt, and I began our gentle uphill walk to the chapel for the final cowrite.  We chatted and laughed as we walked. Good Shepherd Chapel, Concordia University Irvine. Photo by Anna Gruen. I don’t remember everything we talked about, but I’m pretty sure that at some point someone joked about the zoom meetings, commenting how you could wear some comfy shorts below the nice shirt and no one would know.  And about how there was no way anyone could tell what was really in your mug or water bottle.   The conversation took a serious turn when the observation was made that covid  (stupid covid!)  made substance dependency and addiction worse for many people.  No

Our Place in the Stars

We saw the blindingly bright light first as the shuttle began to lift.  Then we heard, no,  felt  the earth-shaking rumble and roar of the engines.  We weren’t allowed to be near the pad, but we were as close as civilians could get about a mile away (that’s just a guess).  A marsh lay in between us and the shuttle, giving us an unobstructed view of launchpad 39A. It was July 8, 1994.  I was 15 years old when I saw one of the most incredible sights of my life.  The space shuttle Columbia embarked on a two-week mission to conduct numerous science experiments for teams of hundreds of scientists from several nations.  They carried plants, newts, jellyfish, and more in an effort to better understand space biology, especially the effects of microgravity and cosmic radiation on living things.  Its research was one of many missions that helped prepare humans to collaborate on the building and occupying of the International Space Station (ISS), a low orbit station that has now been oc