Skip to main content

Lucy

"Sometimes I wish I could be a dog," my 8-year-old son Bennett said as he laid down next to our lazy puppy.  She was curled up on her bed in the living room, and in her typical fashion she twisted around so she'd be belly up for the snuggles.  She loves the tummy rubs!

"Me too," was my heartfelt reply.  I've often felt that.  Usually it is because of all the busyness of life. Go, go go.  Do, do, do.  Lists, and tasks, and I'm behind at home, and I'm behind at church, and there's always more, more, more that could and should be happening.

But this time I said "me too" for a different reason—not because she gets to be relaxed and lazy and I am usually stressed out, but because she does not have a worry in the world, and this whole "thing" has been weighing on my heavily.

Has anyone else been losing sleep over this?

I have encouraged others to limit their intake of bad news and social media and constant reminders.  I need to take my own advice.  I can't worry about L.A. asking for a hospital ship.  I can't ponder how this might forever alter life for millions of people.  The economics are not mine to solve.  What to do about all the students is not my problem to solve.  Caring for the people in the care centers is also not my problem to solve.  I have to let those worries go.  I even feel too much worry about the people of the church I serve.  Yes, I will do my very best for them.  I will and do care for them deeply.  I will point them to Jesus.  But I will not be able to solve every problem or complication they will have from this.  I need to remember that.

How old were you and what were you doing when Pearl Harbor was bombed?  When Kennedy was assassinated?  When 9/11 brought us to our knees?  When the coronavirus ravaged the earth?  This may be "one of those things" that we recognized as life-changing for us all.

And as terrible as all those things were, God brought his people through them.  By "his people" I mean Christians, not Americans.  But God also brought America through it too.  America in general should practice more repentance.  America could and should cry out to the One True God in humility and in faith.  America should turn away from its slaughter of the unborn, its rampant sexual immorality, its greed and selfishness.  Now's just as good a time as any.  And maybe many will.  I believe God will use this to turn many to him for the first time.  I believe that because that's how God works.

I am not saying the virus is a specific punishment from God over American sins.  That would be foolish.  This is obviously a global problem, not a specifically American one.  But I am saying that the Bible teaches us to practice repentance, especially when we see death and disaster.

I tell you that if you're going to be stuck somewhere for a while, get stuck with a puppy.  Our Shih Tzu, Lucy, brings us so much welcome joy.  She doesn't mind that we're all home.  She's happier because of it.  She doesn't mind playing with the same toys.  She hasn't let fear or dread sap her energy.  She glorifies God by doing what God has designed her to do—eat, drink, and play; sniff, lick, and bark (it's more of an "erf").

Today I will strive to be more like Lucy—I'll eat, drink, play, trust in God, love my family, do what I can, give to God what I can't, and sleep soundly.

I found peace before I went to sleep last night.  The peace came in the words of Psalm 46.  You should read the whole psalm, but these are the specific words that helped me:

God is our refuge and strength,    an ever-present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear…
Be still, and know that I am God…
The Lord Almighty is with us;    the God of Jacob is our fortress.

truth + love

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Songwriting Journey

So, in August I did a thing.  A thing I’ve never done before.  A thing I never expected to do.  I want to tell you what that thing is.   But first you should know something about me.  I love music. I’ve played the piano for as long as I can remember.  I took lessons from my mom who was the church organist and taught piano on the side.  I started learning the trombone in fourth grade.  In college, our Symphonic Wind Ensemble needed a tuba player, so I learned that.  Turns out that if you can play a trombone and a tuba, you can also play a baritone.  So I played that too in some church brass ensembles.  I wouldn’t say that I own a ton of instruments, but I do have a few: a piano, digital keyboard, harmonica, kalimba, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, trumpet, trombone, and bells (not handbells, but bells that look like separate pieces of a xylophone in a case).  Some of those I don’t even know how to play.  Yet.   As much as I love music, I’ve never been a good performer.  I can preach a

God Who Bleeds

It was a beautiful May day in gorgeous Irvine, California, and four of us songwriters were sharing a sunny and lighthearted conversation as we walked.  This retreat had three scheduled songwriting sessions, and the forty-two attendees would find out before each session what the assigned groups and writing locations were.   Benji, Cara, Matt, and I began our gentle uphill walk to the chapel for the final cowrite.  We chatted and laughed as we walked. Good Shepherd Chapel, Concordia University Irvine. Photo by Anna Gruen. I don’t remember everything we talked about, but I’m pretty sure that at some point someone joked about the zoom meetings, commenting how you could wear some comfy shorts below the nice shirt and no one would know.  And about how there was no way anyone could tell what was really in your mug or water bottle.   The conversation took a serious turn when the observation was made that covid  (stupid covid!)  made substance dependency and addiction worse for many people.  No

Our Place in the Stars

We saw the blindingly bright light first as the shuttle began to lift.  Then we heard, no,  felt  the earth-shaking rumble and roar of the engines.  We weren’t allowed to be near the pad, but we were as close as civilians could get about a mile away (that’s just a guess).  A marsh lay in between us and the shuttle, giving us an unobstructed view of launchpad 39A. It was July 8, 1994.  I was 15 years old when I saw one of the most incredible sights of my life.  The space shuttle Columbia embarked on a two-week mission to conduct numerous science experiments for teams of hundreds of scientists from several nations.  They carried plants, newts, jellyfish, and more in an effort to better understand space biology, especially the effects of microgravity and cosmic radiation on living things.  Its research was one of many missions that helped prepare humans to collaborate on the building and occupying of the International Space Station (ISS), a low orbit station that has now been oc