Skip to main content

Thank You

 

I give thanks

I give thanks to you, O Lord my God, with my whole heart,
    and I will glorify your name forever.
For great is your steadfast love toward me
…”

 - Psalm 86:12-13a

 

A month ago, you held a wonderful celebration to recognize the anniversary of my ordination.  I echo the words of Psalm 86 and thank God for all that he has done for me.  I specifically thank Him for all of you.  I get emotional easily when I am overcome with gratitude, so I was not able to speak a proper “thank you” at the time of the celebration.  So, I decided to write this one instead.  (And I am still working on individual thank you notes too).

 

I would like to ask you to please take a few moments to read this because it is important to acknowledge what it has taken to get me to this point.  Additionally, at the end of this note I offer a few words about the future of ministry at BSLC.

 

What Has Gotten Me to This Point

 

As people tell me they appreciate me and my service to the Church, it’s important to recognize that all glory must go to God.  I am still His work-in-progress.  He has redeemed me from sin, death, and hell, and all the good that has come from my serving Him is to His credit and glory.  Thanks be to God!

 

I feel it is important to also acknowledge the means that God has used to get me to this point.  God has many different ways of shaping His people, but these are the four biggest for me.  Each of these points could be a book, but I will keep each to just a few sentences.

 

1. My family of origin.  I was blessed with parents who taught me to love the Lord, to cherish His Word, and to live genuine, faithful lives.  I was blessed with siblings who not only loved me, but taught me that everyone is different, we are all blessed with different gifts, we face different challenges, and we are best when we work together in love. 

 

2. Lutheran schools.  From Kindergarten through the end of Seminary, I was enrolled in Lutheran schools. Scripture was taught and applied every day.  Faith was connected to life.  I had dedicated and skilled teachers and professors.  I made lifelong friends at every level.

 

3. My wife and sons.  They are everything to me.  I got emotional when I tried to talk about them at the celebration, because—what am I without them?  It’s hard to put into words what a blessing Nicole is not only to me but also to all of you because of how she serves our family and the Church.  It’s hard to communicate how much I’ve grown by being married to her.  By God’s direction you have called me into ministry, and yet it is a call that benefits and burdens the whole family.  Ministry is filled with unspeakable joys, but also much pain and struggle.  In it all, my wife is amazing, and my boys bring me so much joy.  The honor and privilege of being a husband and father makes me a better pastor.  This is why at the celebration I said that Nicole and our boys are “worthy of every kind thing” that you do for them.  They are “all in” in this with me.  I am greatly blessed, and you are too.  Nicole, Ethan, Aidan, and Bennett, I love you.  (And I would like to add an additional note here that my Nicole’s parents are great blessings because of their love, support, faithful life, and constant prayer).

 

4. You.  God uses all of you to help shape and encourage each other, me included.  The people I’ve worked with in the past, the ministry team of the present time, all who have volunteered to serve, all who have been elected to past and present positions, the people I’ve visited who ended up encouraging me, the people who have laughed with me and cried with me—I appreciate all of you.  I am so thankful.  You are family.  You have encouraged me, corrected me, prayed for me, strengthened me, challenged me, forgiven me, mentored me, and taught me more than I can say.  It is my honor and joy to serve the Lord in this place.

 

A General Thank You

So thank you, not just for the celebration, but for everything over the years.  I am forever grateful.  And I mean “forever” quite literally. 

 

Celebration Thanks

It’s always risky to name individual people or groups for fear of forgetting some.  So, please let the general thank you above cover everything!  But here are a few specific thanks.  Thank you to Elders, the Board of Directors, the Preschool/ECMS, and the Ministry Team for your presentations and gifts.  You are generous and kind, thoughtful and encouraging.  I enjoy working with you all.  Thank you to all who helped with setup and takedown, decorating, and serving food.  I don’t have all your names, but you know who you are.  Thank you especially to Chris and Jan Troester for coordinating the event that got postponed twice and turned into a two-year project!  Thank you especially to Chris for being my “support person.”  At BSLC we have a Church Worker Support Team that is a great blessing.  Our called workers especially need these support people to help ensure health and growth for the long haul.  They encourage us, advocate for us, challenge us, listen to us, and mentor us.  Chris has been my support in tough times and joyful times.  I point this out to say that not only am I appreciative to him, but you should be too.

 

Future Ministry at BSLC

We’ve had some challenges the last few years that have been difficult on all of us.  Vacancies left us short-staffed for a while.  Covid changed all our lives.  And yet, God has brought BSLC through in a good way.  When I see the opportunities that are in front of us, I get excited.

 

1. What’s already happening.  I see a renewal taking place.  I see young adults joining the church, and being formed for leadership, and raising families, and investing themselves in this church in a way that will pay dividends for years to come.  I see people of all ages giving joyfully of their time, talents, and treasures so that we can “Tell the Next Generation” about our Beautiful Savior.  I see our new workers building healthy relationships and making meaningful connections.  I see experienced and wise servants on the Ministry Team shouldering heavy loads to ensure the day-to-day and week-to-week needs of ministry are met.  I see people of different preferences and perspectives working together on our sanctuary renovation project.  I see elected leaders ready to face the challenges of our day and age head on.  I see a vitality in the congregation that comes by the breath of the Spirit and the nourishment of the Word of God.  I see a people ready to love their neighbors, even as God has first loved us.

 

2. What lies before us.  I see us increasing our works of mercy for those in need around us.  I see us finishing our Sanctuary remodel and smiling because it is a beautiful house for the Lord and a blessed place for us to gather as one church in our one worship space.  I see us growing and adding to our ministry team.  I see us growing and saying, “Maybe it’s time to multiply,” since that is what healthy and mature organisms desire to do.  I see us looking for opportunities to plant another preschool or basketball league or worshiping congregation somewhere in the area.  I see us kicking off a year of thanksgiving in the spring 2027, which will begin BSLC’s 50th year, concluding with the official jubilee celebration in the spring of 2028.  And I see that whatever we will do, we will cover everything in prayer from start to finish, and make Christ and his work the cornerstone, and commend it all to Him who is the Head of the Church.

 

Finally

It is my prayer that BSLC will far outlast all of us, and it is my goal to faithfully carry out my role in making sure that it does.  I know you will too.  You are lights in the world.  So let your lights shine!

 

Thank you again, and God bless you all.


Pastor Jon Gruen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Songwriting Journey

So, in August I did a thing.  A thing I’ve never done before.  A thing I never expected to do.  I want to tell you what that thing is.   But first you should know something about me.  I love music. I’ve played the piano for as long as I can remember.  I took lessons from my mom who was the church organist and taught piano on the side.  I started learning the trombone in fourth grade.  In college, our Symphonic Wind Ensemble needed a tuba player, so I learned that.  Turns out that if you can play a trombone and a tuba, you can also play a baritone.  So I played that too in some church brass ensembles.  I wouldn’t say that I own a ton of instruments, but I do have a few: a piano, digital keyboard, harmonica, kalimba, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, trumpet, trombone, and bells (not handbells, but bells that look like separate pieces of a xylophone in a case).  Some of those I don’t even know how to play.  Yet.   As much as I love music, I’ve never been a good performer.  I can preach a

God Who Bleeds

It was a beautiful May day in gorgeous Irvine, California, and four of us songwriters were sharing a sunny and lighthearted conversation as we walked.  This retreat had three scheduled songwriting sessions, and the forty-two attendees would find out before each session what the assigned groups and writing locations were.   Benji, Cara, Matt, and I began our gentle uphill walk to the chapel for the final cowrite.  We chatted and laughed as we walked. Good Shepherd Chapel, Concordia University Irvine. Photo by Anna Gruen. I don’t remember everything we talked about, but I’m pretty sure that at some point someone joked about the zoom meetings, commenting how you could wear some comfy shorts below the nice shirt and no one would know.  And about how there was no way anyone could tell what was really in your mug or water bottle.   The conversation took a serious turn when the observation was made that covid  (stupid covid!)  made substance dependency and addiction worse for many people.  No

Our Place in the Stars

We saw the blindingly bright light first as the shuttle began to lift.  Then we heard, no,  felt  the earth-shaking rumble and roar of the engines.  We weren’t allowed to be near the pad, but we were as close as civilians could get about a mile away (that’s just a guess).  A marsh lay in between us and the shuttle, giving us an unobstructed view of launchpad 39A. It was July 8, 1994.  I was 15 years old when I saw one of the most incredible sights of my life.  The space shuttle Columbia embarked on a two-week mission to conduct numerous science experiments for teams of hundreds of scientists from several nations.  They carried plants, newts, jellyfish, and more in an effort to better understand space biology, especially the effects of microgravity and cosmic radiation on living things.  Its research was one of many missions that helped prepare humans to collaborate on the building and occupying of the International Space Station (ISS), a low orbit station that has now been oc