Skip to main content

My 2020 Election Pledge of Peace

Politicians make promises.  I think it’s time for the rest of us make some election promises too.  Here is what I pledge about my own actions before elections, when I vote, and in whatever happens after that.  I’m going to start today, even while much chatter about the first debate fills the air.  I invite you to take the pledge with me.

My 2020 Election Pledge of Peace

I will put this in God’s hands and trust that none of this is beyond His knowledge, power, and ability to make all things work together for the good of those who love Him.

I will listen to the concerned people in my life so I can understand and know them better.  I will express care and love toward them, even if we disagree on politics.

I will be peaceful in words and actions before, during, and after the election.  I will pray for those who are so angry or so afraid that they choose behaviors harmful to themselves or to others.

I will speak respectfully ABOUT people who vote differently than I vote.  I will speak respectfully WITH people who vote differently than I vote.

When people disagree with me, even sharply, I will be slow to label it as “hate,” since many emotional reactions come not from hate but from fear. If I am unfairly labeled as being hateful, I will quietly and consistently prove them wrong with kind words and actions, even if they don’t notice or care.  

I will pray that I may be patient with others; tensions are high and emotions are on the surface.

I value the people in my life—the people at home, church, work, school, and wherever—as more important than my viewpoint.  I will not give up on any relationships because of this election; it’s not worth it.  If I am “unfriended,” I will seek to win them back with kindness.

I will speak respectfully about all the candidates.  Concerning the presidency, I believe that neither Trump nor Biden is Jesus.  I believe that neither Trump nor Biden is Satan.

I recognize that good communication is hard and takes effort.  I will engage in conversations and not reduce it only to soundbites and slogans.

I will be informed and vote my conscience.  I recognize that not everyone who goes through that process will reach the same conclusion as I do. 

I will be informed, but will also limit my intake of news and media because I know the coverage is very heated right now, and I know that what spills out of my mouth is what I keep pumping into my brain and my heart.  I will fill my brain and my heart with good things.

While I hold myself to high standards, I will be prepared for those who don’t.  I will overlook everything I can, correct humbly what I must, and interact with integrity.  I will avoid handing out “holier than thou” scoldings.  Above all, I will encourage others and point them to Jesus.

Finally, I will invite others to pledge themselves also to peace and respect.

So help me God.


truth + love

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Songwriting Journey

So, in August I did a thing.  A thing I’ve never done before.  A thing I never expected to do.  I want to tell you what that thing is.   But first you should know something about me.  I love music. I’ve played the piano for as long as I can remember.  I took lessons from my mom who was the church organist and taught piano on the side.  I started learning the trombone in fourth grade.  In college, our Symphonic Wind Ensemble needed a tuba player, so I learned that.  Turns out that if you can play a trombone and a tuba, you can also play a baritone.  So I played that too in some church brass ensembles.  I wouldn’t say that I own a ton of instruments, but I do have a few: a piano, digital keyboard, harmonica, kalimba, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, trumpet, trombone, and bells (not handbells, but bells that look like separate pieces of a xylophone in a case).  Some of those I don’t even know how to play.  Yet.   As much as I love music, I’ve never been a good performer.  I can preach a

God Who Bleeds

It was a beautiful May day in gorgeous Irvine, California, and four of us songwriters were sharing a sunny and lighthearted conversation as we walked.  This retreat had three scheduled songwriting sessions, and the forty-two attendees would find out before each session what the assigned groups and writing locations were.   Benji, Cara, Matt, and I began our gentle uphill walk to the chapel for the final cowrite.  We chatted and laughed as we walked. Good Shepherd Chapel, Concordia University Irvine. Photo by Anna Gruen. I don’t remember everything we talked about, but I’m pretty sure that at some point someone joked about the zoom meetings, commenting how you could wear some comfy shorts below the nice shirt and no one would know.  And about how there was no way anyone could tell what was really in your mug or water bottle.   The conversation took a serious turn when the observation was made that covid  (stupid covid!)  made substance dependency and addiction worse for many people.  No

Our Place in the Stars

We saw the blindingly bright light first as the shuttle began to lift.  Then we heard, no,  felt  the earth-shaking rumble and roar of the engines.  We weren’t allowed to be near the pad, but we were as close as civilians could get about a mile away (that’s just a guess).  A marsh lay in between us and the shuttle, giving us an unobstructed view of launchpad 39A. It was July 8, 1994.  I was 15 years old when I saw one of the most incredible sights of my life.  The space shuttle Columbia embarked on a two-week mission to conduct numerous science experiments for teams of hundreds of scientists from several nations.  They carried plants, newts, jellyfish, and more in an effort to better understand space biology, especially the effects of microgravity and cosmic radiation on living things.  Its research was one of many missions that helped prepare humans to collaborate on the building and occupying of the International Space Station (ISS), a low orbit station that has now been oc