Skip to main content

5 Mom Places

I've shared this on social media before, but I thought I'd toss it up on the blog.  Happy Mother's Day!


Five "Mom places" I wish I could visit again:

5. My wedding day. Not only is it one of the best days of my life for obvious reasons, but it's also a day when Nicole's parents received me into the family with love and dedication. Many people complain about a mother-in-law who is intrusive or demeaning. I don't. I am glad to call my mother-in-law "mom." She has a servant's heart and she gives freely of herself for others. She would do anything for me, anything for my family.

4. I wish I could play cards again with Grandma Gruen. Whether we were playing 500 or Kings in the Corner, she would smile and laugh and have a great time. I loved the way she fussed at Grandpa when he would slam his knuckles on the table when making a dramatic play (whether the card was good or worthless). She would scold him "Al, don't do that!" But she wasn't really mad, and he never minded the scolding. It was all part of the game.

3. I'd love to wake up again at my Grandma and Grandpa Schwanke's house again and smell her caramel rolls in the oven. Imagine cinnamon rolls, except with copious amounts of sweet, gooey, caramel goodness on the top. Mmm! I'd love to be there again, and not just for an amazing breakfast, but to hear her sweet voice and feel the warmth of her love.

2. Hearing my mom practice the piano so she was ready to play in church was a regular part of my life. I remember one night after bedtime, mom sat down at the piano and started practicing, probably trying to catch up on that and a million other things. I vividly remember lying there and listening, soaking in every note. After a while, I crept downstairs and asked her, "Are you going to be playing for a while?" She said, "Why? Is it keeping you awake?" I replied, "No, it's helping me to fall asleep." That was a lie. But I didn't know how to tell her that I loved the way it was keeping me awake and I didn't want it to stop.

1. If I could, I would relive the days that Ethan, Aidan, and Bennett were born. Those days are so special to me, not only because I became a new dad or received a new son, but also because the woman I am privileged to call my wife shined forth all the beauty of motherhood. Freeze time at the very moment she receives her son and you will see tears of joy, a shower of kisses, love that causes her to shush and soothe, cradle and cuddle that little one. That same love still burns in her for me and for the boys, even if it looks mostly different now (though we still like the cuddling). And we are beyond blessed because of it.

What "mom places" would you like to visit again?

As we reflect on all the "mom places" in our life, we may feel sorrow, thankfulness, or joy. One thing is for sure: Mom, you are a reflection of God's own love, and you are a beautiful part of God's marvelous plan for family. Thank you. Happy Mother's Day.

truth + love

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Songwriting Journey

So, in August I did a thing.  A thing I’ve never done before.  A thing I never expected to do.  I want to tell you what that thing is.   But first you should know something about me.  I love music. I’ve played the piano for as long as I can remember.  I took lessons from my mom who was the church organist and taught piano on the side.  I started learning the trombone in fourth grade.  In college, our Symphonic Wind Ensemble needed a tuba player, so I learned that.  Turns out that if you can play a trombone and a tuba, you can also play a baritone.  So I played that too in some church brass ensembles.  I wouldn’t say that I own a ton of instruments, but I do have a few: a piano, digital keyboard, harmonica, kalimba, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, trumpet, trombone, and bells (not handbells, but bells that look like separate pieces of a xylophone in a case).  Some of those I don’t even know how to play.  Yet.   As much as I love music, I’ve never been a good performer.  I can preach a

God Who Bleeds

It was a beautiful May day in gorgeous Irvine, California, and four of us songwriters were sharing a sunny and lighthearted conversation as we walked.  This retreat had three scheduled songwriting sessions, and the forty-two attendees would find out before each session what the assigned groups and writing locations were.   Benji, Cara, Matt, and I began our gentle uphill walk to the chapel for the final cowrite.  We chatted and laughed as we walked. Good Shepherd Chapel, Concordia University Irvine. Photo by Anna Gruen. I don’t remember everything we talked about, but I’m pretty sure that at some point someone joked about the zoom meetings, commenting how you could wear some comfy shorts below the nice shirt and no one would know.  And about how there was no way anyone could tell what was really in your mug or water bottle.   The conversation took a serious turn when the observation was made that covid  (stupid covid!)  made substance dependency and addiction worse for many people.  No

Our Place in the Stars

We saw the blindingly bright light first as the shuttle began to lift.  Then we heard, no,  felt  the earth-shaking rumble and roar of the engines.  We weren’t allowed to be near the pad, but we were as close as civilians could get about a mile away (that’s just a guess).  A marsh lay in between us and the shuttle, giving us an unobstructed view of launchpad 39A. It was July 8, 1994.  I was 15 years old when I saw one of the most incredible sights of my life.  The space shuttle Columbia embarked on a two-week mission to conduct numerous science experiments for teams of hundreds of scientists from several nations.  They carried plants, newts, jellyfish, and more in an effort to better understand space biology, especially the effects of microgravity and cosmic radiation on living things.  Its research was one of many missions that helped prepare humans to collaborate on the building and occupying of the International Space Station (ISS), a low orbit station that has now been oc