Skip to main content

Lists

I have lists on my mind today.  Lists, as you know, are very useful.  We make one for shopping items, one for daily tasks, one for goals, even wishes, and of course we could go on and on because there are lists for everything (music, grievances, favorites, etc.)

My wife is a list person.  She calls them “empowering.”  She’s referring specifically to to-do lists when she says that.  I like a lot of different kinds of lists, but I really don’t like to-do lists.  I find them to be demanding, overwhelming, draining, the opposite of empowering.  I once wrote what I thought was a clever and humorous “break up letter” to my to-do list, but never shared it with anyone because when it was finished it sounded like a really whiny complaint.  And it was.

I use a to-do list, of course.  In fact, I keep an electronic one that is also tied to my calendar.  It’s an incredibly useful tool that is a wonderful blessing that lets me accomplish more.  I hate it.

I’m a thinker and a dreamer.  My wife is a doer.  If it weren’t for her to balance me, I probably wouldn’t accomplish anything useful at home.  I’d be lost in thought, or working on a song, or reading, or watching an informational video on the new methane fueled full flow staged combustion cycle engine that SpaceX developed (first in history!) for its prototype vehicle called Starship.  Yeah, I’m that kind of nerd.  So I’m blessed to have her.  She keeps me in reality.

But I kind of feel like she needs me to balance her a bit too, to say “It’s okay if you didn’t accomplish everything you wanted to today.  After all, we’re called human beings, not human doings.  I didn’t make that up, but I sure like it.

Well, that’s enough about me.  I’m marvelously flawed.  And my brain is still scrambled from all the Holy Week and Easter stress.  (Scrambled… Easter… eggs… see what I did there?).  It was tough enough for me to string together a few coherent paragraphs for you, so let me finish by making a few lists for you.  Random lists, in no particular order.

Things I did this Easter Sunday that I’ve NEVER done before:
·      Slept until 7:00am.
·      Worshiped after 9:00am.
·      Used the restroom and got more coffee during my sermon! (It’s weird watching yourself preach on TV anyway).
·      Texted a bunch of people in the morning.  The text?  “Alleluia, Christ is risen!”  You know the replies that came back: “He is risen indeed, alleluia!”
·      Cooked lunch with my wife.  She’s a nice lady.

Something completely normal I did this Easter, like I always do:
·      Ate copious amounts of ham.  Nothing says “Jesus has fulfilled the Old Covenant, and we are now free in Christ” on Easter quite like eating a lot of ham.

You might try these entertaining or educational opportunities (which I recently enjoyed) that will help you pass the time during the pandemic:
·      Watch “Onward” on Disney+.  It’s a seriously good movie.  Extremely good.  It is highly entertaining and incredibly profound.  I’m looking forward to using it for a sermon illustration when it fits the text and when I’m not worried about spoiling it for anyone.
·      Watch “Dolphin Reef,” also on Disney+.  It’s part documentary, part movie.  It’s a feel-good true adventure of a baby dolphin and other creatures in its habitat.  It’s really well done.
·      Listen to the 4-episode podcast “Apollo 11: What We Saw.”  This dramatic retelling of the Apollo mission to the moon in the context of the Cold War is both educational and entertaining for adults.  Warning: there is some vulgar language.  Trigger Warning: If you don’t think you’ll like hearing an American astronaut swearing about how terrible communism is, or an astronaut reading from the book of Genesis (“In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth…”) while he’s flying around the moon, then you’ll probably want to go to your safe place and NOT listen to this podcast.
·      Do a puzzle if you have one.  They’re hard to buy right now if you don’t have one.
·      Listen to Joe Satriani’s new album called “Shapeshifting.”  It’s good fun.  He mimics several different styles of songs, as the title of the album suggests.  My wife thinks it very odd that I enjoy his music since I usually listen to classical/orchestral music.  But the man is stellar.
·      Attend many video conferencing meetings!  Oh wait… nope.  Wrong list.

Things I wish I didn’t have on my to-do list right now:
·      Attend many video conferencing meetings.  I’d much rather meet in person!  But I’m thankful for the technology that lets work and ministry continue.
·      Make the next online worship service.  I’d much rather worship together in person!  But I am thankful for the technology that lets us worship “together” in our own homes, and I am extremely thankful for all the encouragement I’m receiving from members and nonmembers alike, saying that the online worship is a blessing to them.  It keeps me motivated.  Here is the YouTube Channel for the church I serve.

And finally, if you and your family are like my family and you are intentionally scheduling things each day for your wellness (exercise, talking to a loved one on the phone or FaceTime, reading, and getting chores done before “screen time”), or even if you’re not like my family, here’s one more list for you…

Do today:
·      Read God’s Word.
·      Pray.
·      Make a list of things you’re thankful for, people and blessings that bring you joy.

We have a lot to be thankful for.  Jesus resurrection is at the top of the list.  A blessed Easter season to you all.

“Do not be afraid, for I know that you seek Jesus who was crucified. He is not here, for he has risen, as he said.”
   - Matthew 28:5-6

“…whatever you do, do all to the glory of God”
   - 1 Cor. 10:31


truth + love

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Songwriting Journey

So, in August I did a thing.  A thing I’ve never done before.  A thing I never expected to do.  I want to tell you what that thing is.   But first you should know something about me.  I love music. I’ve played the piano for as long as I can remember.  I took lessons from my mom who was the church organist and taught piano on the side.  I started learning the trombone in fourth grade.  In college, our Symphonic Wind Ensemble needed a tuba player, so I learned that.  Turns out that if you can play a trombone and a tuba, you can also play a baritone.  So I played that too in some church brass ensembles.  I wouldn’t say that I own a ton of instruments, but I do have a few: a piano, digital keyboard, harmonica, kalimba, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, trumpet, trombone, and bells (not handbells, but bells that look like separate pieces of a xylophone in a case).  Some of those I don’t even know how to play.  Yet.   As much as I love music, I’ve never been a good performer.  I can preach a

God Who Bleeds

It was a beautiful May day in gorgeous Irvine, California, and four of us songwriters were sharing a sunny and lighthearted conversation as we walked.  This retreat had three scheduled songwriting sessions, and the forty-two attendees would find out before each session what the assigned groups and writing locations were.   Benji, Cara, Matt, and I began our gentle uphill walk to the chapel for the final cowrite.  We chatted and laughed as we walked. Good Shepherd Chapel, Concordia University Irvine. Photo by Anna Gruen. I don’t remember everything we talked about, but I’m pretty sure that at some point someone joked about the zoom meetings, commenting how you could wear some comfy shorts below the nice shirt and no one would know.  And about how there was no way anyone could tell what was really in your mug or water bottle.   The conversation took a serious turn when the observation was made that covid  (stupid covid!)  made substance dependency and addiction worse for many people.  No

Our Place in the Stars

We saw the blindingly bright light first as the shuttle began to lift.  Then we heard, no,  felt  the earth-shaking rumble and roar of the engines.  We weren’t allowed to be near the pad, but we were as close as civilians could get about a mile away (that’s just a guess).  A marsh lay in between us and the shuttle, giving us an unobstructed view of launchpad 39A. It was July 8, 1994.  I was 15 years old when I saw one of the most incredible sights of my life.  The space shuttle Columbia embarked on a two-week mission to conduct numerous science experiments for teams of hundreds of scientists from several nations.  They carried plants, newts, jellyfish, and more in an effort to better understand space biology, especially the effects of microgravity and cosmic radiation on living things.  Its research was one of many missions that helped prepare humans to collaborate on the building and occupying of the International Space Station (ISS), a low orbit station that has now been oc